Customer Information Documents 2024
Main points of terms and conditions
- You own or are authorised to store the Goods.
- Storage fees must be paid in advance and on time.
- If You do not comply with the conditions of this Agreement SO will have certain rights which include keeping Your Deposit and the right to seize the Goods in storage and sell or dispose of them.
- You must secure the Unit.
You must not store dangerous, illegal, stolen, perishable, environmentally harmful or explosive goods subject to clause 18.
- You must check the Unit is suitable for storing the Goods.
- SO’s liability for loss of and damage to Goods is limited to £100.
- SO is not liable to You for events outside its control.
- Goods are stored at Your sole risk and must be insured.
- Where offered the SO does not give any advice as to the suitability or otherwise of the insurance cover.
- SO may use and share Your personal and other data in certain circumstances.
- Any special terms have been written down on this Agreement.
- You must give notice to terminate this Agreement.
Full terms and conditions of the self storage licence agreement
In these terms and conditions, the following words have the following meanings:
Agreement: The Self Storage Licence Agreement incorporating these Conditions;
SO (Store Owner);
The Company (We, Us, Our): We, Us, Our, A Space Station Ltd (Space Station) and any associated companies trading as Space Station Self Storage;
The Customer (You, Your): the person, persons or corporate body that enters into the Agreement with The Company;
The Store: the premises at which the Goods are stored;
The Room: Your private storage space within the premises of the Company at the Store;
The Goods: anything You store in the Room at any time during the period of the Agreement;
The Alternative Contact Person (ACP): the person or persons you authorise us to contact if We are not able to contact You;
Conditions: these Self Storage Terms and Conditions.
- So long as all fees are paid up to date, You: (a) are licensed to store Goods in the Unit allocated to You by SO from time to time and only in that Unit; (b) are deemed to have knowledge of the Goods in the Unit; and (c) warrant that You are the owner of the Goods in the Unit and/or entitled at law to deal with them in accordance with all aspects of this Agreement as agent for the owner.
- SO: (a) does not have and will not be deemed to have knowledge of the Goods; (b) is not a bailee, custodian or warehouseman of the Goods and You acknowledge that SO does not take possession of the Goods; and (c) does not grant any lease or tenancy of the Unit.
- This Agreement will come into existence between SO and You when SO notifies You it has accepted the order by signing the cover sheet. The storage period will begin on the date agreed with You during the order process and set out on the cover sheet.
- You must pay the Deposit on signing this Agreement. The Deposit (or the balance of it after any appropriate deductions for unpaid Fees, repairs, cleaning or other charges to put right any breach of this Agreement by You) will be refunded by electronic transfer within 21 days of termination of this Agreement.
- You are responsible to pay: (a) the Storage Fee (being the amount set out in the cover sheet or as most recently notified to You by SO). SO will take the first payment on acceptance of Your order and will take subsequent payments in advance on the invoice date for each storage period or other date agreed with You (Due Date). It is Your responsibility to see that payment is made directly to SO on time and in full throughout the storage period. You must pay by direct debit in which case the designated bank account will be charged automatically on each Due Date. SO will invoice electronically for fees. Any Storage Fees paid by direct transfer will not be credited to Your account unless You identify the payment clearly and as directed by SO and SO shall have no liability to and shall be indemnified by You if SO takes steps to enforce the Agreement (including the sale of Goods) due to Your failure to identify a payment. SO will not accept that payment has been made until it has received cleared funds; (b) a Late Payment Fee each time a payment is late or cancelled; (c) any costs incurred by the SO in collecting late or unpaid Storage Fees, or in enforcing this Agreement in any way, including but not limited to postal, telephone, unit inventory, debt collection, personnel and/or default action costs and associated legal and professional fees; (d) any government taxes or charges (including any value added tax or insurance premium tax) levied on any supplies made under this Agreement; and (e) charges for repairs or cleaning, to be invoiced at SO’s discretion as per Condition 20. Where You have more than one agreement with SO, all will form one account and SO may in its sole discretion apply any payment made by You or on Your behalf on this Agreement against the oldest amount due from You to SO on any agreement in the account. If You make a part payment of any Storage Fees due to SO and SO retains Your part payment, this will not affect SO’s ability to take any action against You or to exercise any rights SO has under this Agreement in respect of the Storage Fees which remain outstanding from You. The time period from which SO may take such action will still start from the Due Date when the original Storage Fees were due and the Due Date will not be extended as a result of Your part payment.
Default – The right to sell or dispose of goods
- SO takes the issue of prompt payment seriously and has a right of lien, which is a right to seize and sell or otherwise dispose of some or all of the Goods as security for Your obligation to make payments under this Agreement. If any sum owing to SO and other fees related to it are not paid when due (Debt), You authorise SO without further notice to: (a) refuse You and Your Agents access to the Goods, the Unit and the Facility and overlock the Unit until the Debt has been paid in full; (b) enter the Unit and inspect and/or remove the Goods to another unit or site and to charge You for all reasonable costs of doing so on any number of occasions; and (c) apply the Deposit against the Debt and, if insufficient to clear it in full, hold onto and/or ultimately sell or dispose of some or all of the Goods in accordance with Conditions 8 to 10. You acknowledge that (a) SO shall be entitled to continue to charge for storage from the date the Debt becomes due until payment is made in full or the Goods are sold or disposed of; (b) SO will sell the Goods as if SO was the owner and will pass all rights of ownership in the Goods to the buyer; and (c) if You do not pay fees on the Due Date, the value of any discounts and special offers (including periods of free storage) which You have received will be payable by You in full.
- On expiry or termination of this Agreement, if You fail to remove all Goods from the Unit, SO is authorised to treat the Goods as abandoned and may sell or dispose of all Goods by any means in accordance with Conditions 8 to 10. You are liable for Storage Fees for the period from abandonment to the sale or disposal of the Goods together with any costs of disposal (Debt).
- Before SO sells or disposes of the Goods, it will give You notice in writing directing You to pay (if You are in default) or collect the Goods (if they are treated as abandoned). This notice will be sent by registered or recorded delivery to the postal address last notified by You to SO in writing and by email and/or social media. If no address within the UK has been provided, SO will use any land or email address or social media details it holds for You and any ACP. If You fail to pay the Debt and/or collect the Goods (as appropriate) SO will access the Unit and begin the process to sell or dispose of the Goods. You consent to and authorise the sale or disposal of all Goods without further notice regardless of their nature, content or value. SO will sell the Goods for the best price reasonably available in the open market, taking into account the costs of sale. SO may also require payment of default action costs, including any costs associated with accessing the Unit and disposal or sale of the Goods, which shall be added to the Debt.
- Sale proceeds will be applied first against the cost of removal and sale of Goods and second to pay the Debt. If sale proceeds do not discharge all of these costs and the Debt, you must pay SO the balance within 7 days of a written demand from SO. SO may take action to recover the balance and any legal and administration costs incurred in doing so. If sale proceeds exceed the amount due from You, SO will hold the balance for You but no interest will be payable on it.
- If, in the opinion of SO and entirely at SO’s discretion, the Goods are either not saleable, fail to sell when offered for sale, or are not of sufficient value to warrant the expense of attempting to sell, You authorise SO to treat the Goods as abandoned and SO may dispose of all Goods by any means at Your cost. SO may dispose of the Goods at SO’s discretion in the event that (a) Goods are damaged due to fire, flood or other event that has rendered them, in the opinion of the SO, severely damaged, of no commercial value, or dangerous to persons or property, or (b) Goods may contain personal data belonging to You or others. SO does not need Your prior approval to take this action but will send Notice to You within 7 days of assessing damaged Goods.
- Any items left unattended in common areas or outside Your Unit at any time shall be treated as abandoned and may at SO’s discretion be moved, sold or disposed of immediately with no liability to SO.
- You have the right to access the Unit during Access Hours as posted by SO and subject to the terms of this Agreement. SO will try to provide advance warning of changes to Access Hours by notice at the Facility and/or by SMS or email, but reserves the right to change Access Hours temporarily to other reasonable times without giving prior notice.
- Only You or others authorised or accompanied by You (Your Agents) may access the Unit. You are responsible for and liable to SO and other users of the Facility for Your own actions and those of Your Agents. SO may (but is not obliged to) require proof of identity from You or any other person at any time and, at SO’s sole discretion, may refuse access to any person who is unable to produce satisfactory proof.
- SO may refuse You access to the Unit and/or the Facility where moneys are owing by You to SO, whether or not a formal demand for payment has been made, or if SO considers the safety or security of any person, unit or goods on or at the Facility has been threatened or may be put at risk.
- You should not leave a key with or permit access to the Unit to any person other than Your own Agent who is responsible to You and subject to Your control. If You do so, it is at Your own risk.
- You authorise SO and its agents and contractors to enter the Unit in the following circumstances and to break any lock if reasonably necessary to gain entry: (a) on not less than 7 days’ notice to inspect or carry out repairs or alterations to the Unit or any other part of the Facility; (b) without prior notice (but with notice as soon as practicable after the event) in the event of an emergency (including for repair or alteration) or to prevent injury or damage to persons or property; (c) if SO believes the Unit is being used to store prohibited goods or for a prohibited purpose; (d) if SO is obliged to do so by law, by the Police, Fire Services, Trading Standards, HM Revenue & Customs, other competent authority or by a Court Order; or (e) to relocate the Goods or exercise SO’s lien or power of sale or disposal in accordance with this Agreement.
- You will be solely responsible for securing the Unit and ensuring it is locked so as to be secure from unauthorised entry at all times when You are not in the Unit. SO will not be responsible for securing any unlocked Unit. You are not permitted to apply a padlock or other device to the Unit in SO’s overlocking position and SO may have any such padlock or device forcefully cut off at Your expense. Where applicable, You will secure the external gates and/or doors of the Facility.
- You must not store (or allow any other person to store) any of the following in the Unit: (a) food or perishable goods unless securely packed so they are protected from and do not attract vermin; (b) any living creatures; (c) combustible or flammable substances such as gas, paint, petrol, oil, cleaning solvents
or compressed gases; (d) firearms, explosives, weapons
or ammunition; (e) chemicals, radioactive materials, biological agents, toxic waste, asbestos or other potentially hazardous substances; (f) any item that emits fumes, or odours; (g) any illegal item or substances or goods illegally obtained such as illicit (counterfeit/smuggled) tobacco or alcohol and unlicensed or unsafe goods (such as toys, electrical goods, medicines, aerosols, cosmetics, fireworks); (h) goods which are environmentally harmful or that are a risk to the property of any person; (i) currency, deeds and securities; and (j) items which are unique in nature and/or where the value to You cannot be assessed on a financial basis. You will be liable under Condition 29 for any breach of this Condition 18.
- You will use the Unit solely for the purpose of storage and shall not (or allow any other person to): (a) use the Unit as offices or living accommodation or as a home, business or mailing address; (b) use or do anything at the Facility or in the Unit which may be a nuisance to SO or any other person (including the escape of any substance or odour from or generation of noise or vibration which may be heard or felt outside the Unit); (c) use or do anything at the Facility or in the Unit which may invalidate or increase premiums under any insurance policies of SO or any other person; (d) paint or make alterations to or attach anything to the internal or external surfaces of the Unit; (e) connect or provide any utilities or services to the Unit unless authorised by SO; (f) cause damage to the Unit or any part of the Facility (which includes by removal, haulage or delivery contractors); or (g) create any obstruction or leave items or refuse in any common space within the Facility.
- You must maintain the Unit by ensuring it is clean and in good repair. In the event of uncleanliness or damage to the Unit or Facility, SO will be entitled to retain the Deposit, charge a Cleaning Fee, and/or claim full reimbursement from You of the reasonable costs of repairs, replacement, restoration, proper compensation or disposal of refuse.
- You must (and ensure that Your Agents) use reasonable care on site and have respect for the Facility and other unit users, inform SO of any damage or defect immediately it is discovered and comply with the reasonable directions of SO’s employees, agents and contractors and any other regulations or policies for the use, safety and security of the Facility as SO shall issue periodically.
- This Agreement does not confer on You any right to exclusive possession of the Unit and SO reserves the right to relocate You to another Unit not smaller than the current Unit: (a) by giving 14 days’ notice during which You can elect to terminate this Agreement under Condition 37; or (b) on shorter notice if an incident occurs that requires the Unit or section where it is located to be closed or sealed off. In these circumstances, SO will pay Your reasonable costs of removal if approved in writing by SO before removal. If You do not arrange removal by the date specified in SO’s notice, then You authorise SO and its agents to enter the Unit and move the Goods as Your agent on Your behalf and at Your risk (except for damage caused wilfully or negligently which is subject to the limitations in Condition 27). Following removal this Agreement will be varied by substitution of the new Unit number but otherwise continues on the same terms at the storage rates in force for the original Unit at the time of the removal.
- You must ensure the Unit is suitable for the storage of the Goods intended to be stored in it and You are advised to inspect the Unit before storing Goods and periodically during the storage period. SO makes no warranty or representation that any unit is suitable for any particular goods and accepts no liability in this regard. Unit sizes are approximate.
If You have exact requirements, You must check with SO before signing this Agreement as, by signing, You agree to the actual size of the Unit and not any represented unit size.
- SO may refuse storage of any Goods or require You to remove Goods if in SO’s opinion storage of such Goods creates a risk to the safety of any person or property.
- You must give notice to the SO in writing of the change of any contact details on this Agreement for You or the ACP within 48 hours of any change. You agree SO is entitled to discuss any default by You with the ACP registered on the front of this Agreement.
Risk and responsibility
- SO will not be liable for any loss or damages suffered by You as a result of You not being able to access the Facility or the Unit, regardless of the cause.
- The Goods are stored at Your sole risk and responsibility and You shall be responsible for and bear the risk of any and all theft, damage to, and deterioration of the Goods caused by any reason.
SO excludes all liability in respect of (a) loss or damage to Your business, if any, including consequential loss, lost profits or business interruption; (b) loss of or damage to Goods or any claim for return of the Storage Fees except where this results from SO’s negligence or breach of contract, in which case SO’s liability will be limited to the sum of £100 in total. SO does not exclude liability for physical injury to or the death of any person which is a direct result of negligence or wilful default on the part of SO, its agents and/or employees.
- SO does not insure the Goods and it is a condition of this Agreement that the Goods remain adequately insured at all times for their Replacement Value (as set out on the cover sheet) while they are in storage. You warrant that such cover is in place, will not lapse and that the aggregate value of Goods in the Unit from time to time will not exceed the insured value. SO does not give any advice concerning insurance cover given by any policy and You must make Your own judgment as to adequacy of cover even when arranged by the SO. Inspection of any insurance documents provided by You to demonstrate cover does not mean SO has approved the cover or confirmed it is sufficient.
- It will be Your responsibility to compensate SO for the full amount of all claims, liabilities, demands, damages, costs and expenses (including any reasonably incurred legal and professional fees) incurred by SO or third parties (Liabilities) resulting from or incidental to (a) the use of the Unit (including but not limited to the ownership or storage of Goods in the Unit, the Goods themselves and/or accessing the Facility) or (b) breach of this Agreement by You or any of Your Agents or (c) enforcement terms of this Agreement.
- You agree to comply with this Agreement and all laws and regulations relevant to the use of the Unit. This includes laws relating to material which is stored and the manner in which it is stored. You will be responsible for all Liabilities resulting from such a breach.
- If SO has reason to believe that You are not complying with all relevant laws SO may take any action it considers necessary, including, but not limited to, action outlined in Conditions 16 and 37, contacting, cooperating with and/or submitting Goods to relevant authorities, and/or immediately disposing of or removing Goods at Your expense. You agree that SO may take such action at any time even though SO could have acted earlier.
- SO shall not be considered to be in breach of this Agreement nor liable for any delay in performing or failure to perform any of its obligations under this Agreement or any resulting loss or damage to Goods if such delay, failure, loss or damage results from events, circumstances or causes beyond SO’s reasonable control. Such circumstances include (but are not limited to) any Act of God, riot, strike or lock-out, trade dispute or labour disturbance, accident, breakdown of plant or machinery, fire, flood, shortage of labour, materials or transport, electrical power failures, threat of or actual terrorism or environmental or health emergency or hazard
or recommended restrictions, or entry into any unit including the Unit or the Facility by, or arrest or seizure or confiscation of Goods by, competent authorities. If this happens, SO will not be responsible for failing to allow access to the Goods, Unit and/or the Facility for so long as the circumstances continue. SO will try to minimise any effects arising from such circumstances.
- SO collects information about You and any ACP on registration and whilst this Agreement continues, including personal data (Data). SO processes Data in accordance with the General Data Protection Regulation and all associated laws. Details on how SO uses Data and Your rights in relation to Data are set out in SO’s Privacy Notice which can be viewed on its website at https://www.space-station.co.uk/privacy-policy. You confirm any ACP has consented to You supplying Data to SO on these terms.
- If You give consent, SO will use Data for feedback purposes, including to provide information on products or services provided by SO in response to requests from You or if SO believes they may be of interest. Your choice with regard to the relevant use of Data is indicated in the cover sheet and can be changed at any time by contacting SO.
Communication and notice
- SO can send You notifications regarding day to day matters and minor changes to this Agreement by email and/or by SMS if You have agreed to receive notifications by SMS. These notifications will be effective one hour after sending or immediately if they relate to an urgent problem or emergency. We may also use Your social media accounts.
- Notices to be given by SO or You for more significant changes to the services and these terms or to enforce rights under this Agreement (such as ending the Agreement, changing prices, significant disruptions or enforcing SO’s right to sell or dispose of Goods) must be in writing and must either be delivered by hand,
pre-paid post or email. Notices shall be considered to have been received at the time of delivery by hand, one day after sending by email or 48 hours after posting. Notices from SO to You will be sent to the addresses on the cover sheet or the most recent address in England and/or email address notified by You to SO and/or Your social media accounts. In the event of not being able to contact You at the last notified postal or email address, Notice will be considered as having been given to You if SO serves that Notice on the ACP as identified on the front of this Agreement at the last notified postal or email address of the ACP. Any notice from You must be sent to the SO by hand or by post to the address on the cover sheet or by email to the store. In the event that there is more than one storer named on the Agreement, Notice to or by any single storer is agreed to be sufficient for the purposes of any Notice requirement under this Agreement.
Cancelling or ending the agreement
- If You signed up without coming into the Facility, then You have 14 days after SO confirms acceptance of the order to change Your mind (cooling off period). If You cancel during this period a refund will be provided based on the length of storage You have taken prior to cancelling and all Goods being removed from the Unit. SO can use any payment made by You to settle some or all of this. You can cancel by email, post or telephone call to SO referring to Your name, address and date of order.
- Unless otherwise agreed in writing by both parties, either SO or You may end this Agreement at any time by giving the other party written Notice. The date on which the Agreement will end (the Termination Date) must be at least the number of days indicated on the cover sheet. In the event of illegal or environmentally harmful activities on Your part or a breach of this Agreement (which, if it can be put right, You have failed to put right within 14 days of notice from SO to do so), SO may terminate the Agreement immediately by Notice. SO is entitled to retain from the Deposit, or make a charge for, apportioned Storage Fees if less than the required Notice is given by You. You must remove all Goods in the Unit before the close of business on the Termination Date and leave the Unit in a clean condition and in a good state of repair to the satisfaction of SO. In the event that Goods and/or rubbish are left in the Unit after the Termination Date, Conditions 7 and 20 will apply. You must pay any outstanding Storage Fees and any other fees or expenses owed to SO up to the Termination Date, or Conditions 6 to 10 may apply. Any calculation of the outstanding fees will be by SO. If SO enters the Unit for any reason and there are no Goods stored in it, SO may terminate the Agreement without giving advance Notice but will send Notice to You within 7 days.
- You agree to examine the Goods carefully on removal from the Unit and must notify SO of any loss or damage to the Goods as soon as is reasonably possible.
- Termination or expiry of this Agreement shall not affect any rights, remedies, obligations or liabilities of SO or You that came into effect during the life of the Agreement. This includes the right to claim damage for breach of the Agreement, liability for outstanding monies, property damage, personal injury, environmental damage and legal responsibility under this Agreement.
Other important terms
- SO may vary the Storage Fee or other terms of this Agreement and add new terms and conditions as long as such changes are notified to You in writing. The modified terms will take effect on the first Due Date occurring not less than 28 days after the date of SO’s notice. You may end this Agreement without charge before the change takes effect by giving notice in accordance with Condition 36. Otherwise, Your continued use of the Unit will be considered as Your acceptance of and agreement to the amended terms.
- You acknowledge and agree that :(a) the terms of this document constitute the whole agreement with SO and, in entering this Agreement, You do not rely on any statement, promise, representation, assurance or warranty which is not set out in this Agreement; (b) any descriptions or illustrations on our website are published for the sole purpose of giving an approximate idea of the services described in them but they will not form part of this Agreement or have any contractual force; (c) the terms of this Agreement apply to the exclusion of any other terms that You seeks to impose or incorporate, or which are implied by law, trade custom, practice or course of dealing; (d) You have raised all queries relevant to Your decision to enter this Agreement with SO and SO has, prior to You entering into this Agreement, answered all such queries to Your satisfaction; (e) any special terms agreed between You and SO, been recorded in writing and incorporated into the terms of this Agreement; (f) if SO decides not to exercise or enforce any right that it has against You at a particular time, then this does not prevent SO from deciding to exercise or enforce that right at a later date unless SO tells You in writing that SO has waived or given up its ability to do so; (g) it is not intended that anyone other than You and SO will have any rights under this Agreement and accordingly the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 shall not apply to it; (h) if any provision or part-provision of this Agreement is or becomes invalid, unlawful or unenforceable to any extent, it shall be treated as deleted, but that shall not affect the validity and enforceability of the rest of this Agreement; (i) You may not assign or transfer any of Your rights under this Agreement or part with possession of the Unit or Goods whilst they are in the Facility; (j) SO may transfer its rights under this Agreement to another organisation and will let You know if it plans to do this; and (k) where there are two or more joint Storers, each person takes on the obligations under this Agreement separately.
- This Agreement shall be governed by English law and any dispute or claim that either party brings will be decided by the Courts of England and Wales. The parties must first try to settle any dispute in connection with this Agreement by mediation. Such mediation is to be conducted by a mediator who is independent of the parties and appointed by agreement of the parties. It is a condition precedent to the right of either party to commence arbitration or litigation other than for emergency interlocutory relief, that it has first offered to submit the dispute to mediation.
- Store Owner (SO) shall take out and maintain a contract of insurance in accordance with a Summary of Insurance document provided to You. This will provide cover for the Goods for the value stated as the full total replacement value of the Goods as new on the cover sheet. SO does not carry out any valuation of the Goods and is not responsible for ensuring that the full replace-ment value as new as stated by You in the cover sheet is an accurate or true valuation of the full replacement value as new of the Goods at any time. You are responsible for ensuring that insur-ance cover for the value of Goods insured is maintained at an adequate level throughout the peri-od of this Agreement. If loss or damage occurs to the Goods as a result of any matter which may result in a claim under SO’s insurance policy, after receipt from You of a written request to notify a claim, SO will notify its insurer promptly of the claim. For the purposes of processing any such claim, You shall provide SO, SO’s insurer or any of its agents appointed to investigate such claim (such as a loss adjuster) with such information and evidence as may reasonably be required in relation to the claim. SO shall pay or arrange for payment to You that part of any proceeds of any claim made by SO which relates to damage or loss to the Goods after deduction of any outstanding sums due to SO from You. In the event that SO makes a claim under its insurance policy in respect of loss or damage to the Goods, You acknowledge that SO’s liability to make any payments to You in relation to such claim is restricted to payment to You of the amount that SO recovers from its insurer under its insurance policy in relation to the Goods. Whilst SO will notify claims to its insurer, SO is not un-der any circumstances obliged to start or threaten to start any legal proceedings in relation to any such claim. Nothing in this Agreement shall make or be deemed to make SO Your agent. If You fail to pay any insurance charges then any insurance cover in respect of the Goods will cease immediately from the date such charges are due.
- You accept any requested hire, insurance, or retails items can be applied to Your account without the need for separate authorisation.
Full terms and conditions of self storage insurance cover
Crate hire terms and conditions of agreement
In these terms and conditions, the following words have the following meanings:
Agreement: The Crate Hire Agreement incorporating these Conditions;
The Company: We, Us, Our, A Space Station Ltd (Space Station) and any associated companies trading as Space Station Self Storage
The Crates: the crates offered for hire and all replacements and renewals thereof;
The Hirer: the person, persons or corporate body who hires The Crates from The Company;
Hire, Hire of Crates: the hiring of Crates from the Company by a Hirer for such period of time as may be agreed between the Hirer and the Company;
The Store: the premises from which The Crates are taken on Hire;
Conditions: these Crate Hire Terms and Conditions.
- The Hire of Crates by the Hirer from the Company shall be subject to the Conditions hereinafter set out, each of which shall be deemed to be incorporated in and to be a condition of any Agreement between the Company and the Hirer.
- The Company shall supply the Crates in a fully serviceable condition. It is responsibility of The Hirer to check the Crates before removing from The Store. In the absence of any such notification the Hirer will be deemed to be satisfied with the condition of the Crates, and have accepted the Crates as suitable for the purposes required.
- All charges applicable to the hire contract must be paid in advance of rental periods. Cash and cheque payments will not be accepted. Credit or Debit Card accepted for initial charges. Direct debit mandate required for all future charges on the contract whether Hire of Crates or other such charges as become payable.
- The Hirer agrees not to cancel the direct debit whilst charges remain outstanding without first contacting the Company and providing an alternative method of payment from which to collect further charges which the Hirer is liable or may become liable to pay.
- The Hirer may, at a time and date agreed either
5.1 collect the Crates from the Store; or
5.2 request the Company to deliver the Crates.
The Customer shall be liable for delivery charges in accordance with the Company’s normal rates for delivery then in force and subject to applicable VAT.
- Crates shall be returned to the Company and to The Store at the expiry of the period of Hire or any extended period of Hire entered into by the Hirer. If the return date has not been agreed then the Company must have not less than 7 days’ prior notice of the return either by
6.1 The Customer delivering the Crates back to the Store; or
6.2 The Customer requesting the Company to collect the Crates and the Customer shall be liable for collection charges in accordance with the Company’s normal rates for collection then in force and subject to applicable VAT.
- Crates will be taken off Hire at the expiry of period of Hire or any extended period of Hire in which the Crates are returned to the Company and no refund of hire will be made unless an extended hire period has not yet commenced.
- The Hirer shall be responsible for maintaining all Crates in good condition. If the Crates or any of them are damaged whilst in the Hirer’s possession the Hirer must immediately notify the Company. If such damage was not the result of fair wear and tear, then the cost of such repairs or replacement will be paid upon demand to the Company by the Hirer.
- In the event of the Crates or any of them being lost, stolen, seized or confiscated whilst in the possession of the Hirer or not being returned within 7 days of any return date agreed with or stipulated by the Company or not returned immediately if any Agreement is terminated pursuant to Condition 13 hereof, the Company shall be entitled at any time to invoice the Hirer for and the Hirer shall be liable to pay the replacement value of such Crates in accordance with the Company’s then current replacement price. Payment of such price shall not affect any rights of the Company or liabilities of the Hirer subsisting at the date of invoice. The Hirer shall continue to pay all Hire charges pending the return of the Crates.
- Title to the Crates remains at all times with the Company and any and all Crates damaged by the Hirer must be returned to the Company whether or not the Hirer has paid the cost of replacing the damaged Crates. Provided always that the Hirer fully complies with its obligations under these Conditions, the Hirer shall be entitled to enjoy the use and possession of the Crates without interruption by the Company. The cost for replacing lost or damaged Crates is displayed in store and is available on request. All charges are subject to VAT which shall be payable at the rate in force from time to time.
- The Hirer shall have no right of property in or title to the Crates except the right to use and possess the Crates, subject to the terms of the Agreement.
- The Hirer shall be liable for payment of the Hire charges from the date
of collection of the Crates by the Hirer or delivery of the Crates to the Hirer and the Hirer shall be responsible for maintaining them in good condition (save for fair wear and tear) until they are returned to the Company. The minimum hire period shall be 4 weeks.
- Hire charges shall be subject to change by the Company upon not less than 30 days prior written notice being given to the Hirer.
- All charges are net of VAT which shall be payable at the rate in force from time to time. All charges shall become due and payable in advance.
14.1 The Company shall have the right to charge an administration fee on any amounts not paid on the due date. Current charges will be displayed in store and are available on request.
14.2 The Company shall have the right to charge an administration fee on any amounts returned as unpaid by your Bank. Current charges will be displayed in store and are available on request
- The Agreement may be terminated immediately by the Company in any of the following circumstances:
15.1 The Hirer fails to pay any charges by due date; or
15.2 The Hirer fails to observe or perform any of the terms of the Agreement; or
15.3 If the Hirer (being an individual) shall be adjudged bankrupt, enters into a voluntary arrangement or effects a compromise with any one or more of his creditors; or
15.4 The Hirer (being a body corporate):
15.4.1 shall pass a resolution either for entry into administration or for voluntary winding-up or shall have an administration or winding up order made against it; or
15.4.2 suffer the appointment of a receiver of its undertakings or assets or any part thereof; or
15.4.3 shall be deemed by virtue of Section 123 of the Insolvency Act 1986 to be unable to pay its debts; or
15.5 If any execution shall be levied or threatened upon any of the Hirer’s property then in each or every such case the Agreement between the Company and the Hirer in respect of the Hire of the Crates may be terminated at any time by the Company with immediate effect upon written notice from the Company to the Hirer
15.5.1 In the event that any Agreement is terminated under this Condition, the Hirer shall thereafter no longer be in possession of the Crates with the Company’s consent and the Company may, without notice, retake possession of all the Crates and for that purpose enter upon any premises belonging to or in occupation or control of the Hirer for such purpose and
15.5.2 The Hirer shall pay to the Company on demand all expenses costs and charges whatsoever incurred by or on behalf of the Company in ascertaining the whereabouts of the Hirer or the Crates and in retaking possession of the same.
15.5.3 The Hirer will also pay to the Company all costs, charges and expenses incurred by reason of any breach thereof by the Hirer.
15.5.4 Liability for these additional costs by the Hirer is without prejudice to any other rights and remedies the Company may have at law.
- No condition or warranty whatsoever of any kind is given or made by or on behalf of the Company in relation to the quality of the Crates or their fitness for any particular purpose and all conditions or warranties, whether statutory or otherwise, whether express or implied, whether collateral or antecedent thereto or otherwise and whether in relation to the description, state, quality or condition of the Crates on delivery or at any other time thereafter are hereby expressly excluded.
- The Company does not accept liability for any failure to provide the Crates for reasons which are due to circumstances beyond its control.
- The Hirer shall, under no circumstances, sub-hire, lend or otherwise part with possession of the Crates other than with the prior written agreement of the Company.
- No forbearance or indulgence shown or granted by the Company to the Hirer shall constitute a waiver of any of the Conditions to be performed by the Hirer nor shall in any way affect, diminish, restrict or prejudice the rights and powers of the Company.
- Where two or more Hirers are party to one agreement with the Company their liabilities under these Conditions shall also be joint and several.
- Any notices required to be given hereunder shall be sufficiently given if served personally or sent by prepaid first class post or left at the existing or last-known address of the party to be served or emailed if such permission has been granted in the contract agreement or, in the case of a limited company, to or at its registered office and if sent by post such notice shall be deemed to be received 48 hours after posting.
- If any condition, term or provision herein shall be held to be illegal or unenforceable the same shall be deemed to be excluded but the validity of the remaining conditions shall not be so affected.
- The Hirer will inform The Company in writing of any changes to billing details, contact details or any other details stated on this Agreement.
- These terms and conditions supersede and override any and all contractual terms and conditions of the other contracting party howsoever and whenever communicated.
- Before taking any court proceedings for anything arising out of this Agreement (apart from emergency court proceedings), the complaining party shall inform the other person in writing of the dispute in as much detail as possible and The Hirer and The Company agree to try informal conciliation within twenty business days of the notice of the dispute. If the dispute cannot be resolved, The Hirer and The Company agree to use the Centre for Alternative Dispute Solution to try to resolve the dispute amicably by using an Alternative Dispute Resolution Procedure before taking any other step. If the dispute is not resolved to mutual satisfaction within 90 days after notice of the dispute has been given, The Hirer or The Company may submit the dispute to the Court. This Condition does not affect the right of either The Hirer or The Company to terminate this Agreement.
- This Agreement shall be governed by English law and The Hirer and The Company submit to the exclusive jurisdiction of the English courts.
Serviced office licence agreement terms and conditions
“Accommodation” means the office(s) in the Facility occupied by you on a non-exclusive basis under the terms of this Agreement (or any other room(s) provided in accordance with clause 3);
“Agreement” means the Licence Agreement and these Terms and Conditions as amended in writing from time to time which together make up your Agreement;
“End Date” means the date stated on the front sheet to this Agreement as the earliest date in which this Agreement shall terminate, subject to clause 18;
“Fees” means the Licence Fee;
“Facility” means the facility identified on the front sheet to this Agreement;
“Licence Fee” means the monthly fee (which is further defined in clause 4) for use of the Accommodation and payable by you in accordance with clause 7;
“Occupier(s)” means any person employed or associated with you occupying or attending the accommodation for a period that is more than or equivalent to ten working days per calendar month;
“Services” means the provision of broadband and sub-metered electricity for lighting, power and heating, on a fair usage basis
“Deposit” means a deposit equal to or greater (if furnished) than the Monthly Licence Fee;
“Start Date” means the date stated on the front sheet to this Agreement or occupation of the Accommodation whichever is earlier;
“Working Hours” means Space Station’s normal working hours as displayed in Store.
We provide offices as the owner of the Facility. We maintain and employ staff at the Facility and keep the Facility in a good state of condition and repair.
Your Agreement states the Accommodation we have initially allocated for your use. We reserve the right to ask you to relocate to other Accommodation within the Facility but we will use reasonable endeavours to make available Accommodation of a similar size and we will try to give you as much notice as reasonably possible. The Accommodation at all times remains our property.
The Licence Fee includes the following services: general building maintenance, service charges, cleaning and lighting for common areas, local authority rates, building security (monitoring outside of Working Hours) and utilities, subject to fair usage determined by The Company.
We will not be held responsible for any delay or lack of availability or failure or breakdown of Services.
Prior to your Start-Date, you agree to complete, sign and provide us with a direct debit mandate (in the form attached) to instruct your bank or building society to make payments of the Fees by direct debit. Any payments or wire transfers that incur bank charges are your responsibility and you should check what these charges are and add them to the amount you transfer.
The Licence Fee is payable in advance, the first payment to be made in cleared funds prior to the Start Date. The last payment will be a prorated amount calculated to and including the End Date.
Non-payment will constitute a breach of this Agreement.
You agree to pay the Deposit on or before your Start Date. We can deduct from the Deposit, at any time, any outstanding fee and interest and any costs we incur because you have failed to comply with any provision of the Agreement. The Deposit will be held by us without generating interest as security for performance of your obligations and will be refunded by bank transfer within 28 days of the end of the Agreement less any deductions. If we draw on the Deposit at any time through your default of any term of this Agreement you must restore the Deposit to its original amount within 7 days of receipt by you of our written request.
Charges for no or late payment
If you do not pay our Fees on the due date then you must pay us an administrative charge for late payment within 7 (seven) days of the due date. Current late charges are displayed in the reception. We reserve the right to suspend Services and deny access to your Accommodation while there are any outstanding Fees or any interest payable on them, or if you are in breach of this Agreement. You will pay a declined payment charge for any declined payments due to insufficient funds. Declined payment charges are available to view on request.
For the duration of this Agreement and whilst you are using the Accommodation you agree and undertake that you, the Occupiers and your visitors will:
- keep the Accommodation and the Facility clean, tidy and clear of rubbish;
- take good care of the Accommodation and the Facility and not damage any fixtures, fittings, furniture, plant, equipment and services;
- not make any alteration or addition whatsoever to the Accommodation which includes not drilling or nailing anything into any of the walls, windows or doors of the Accommodation;
- not install any partitions, lighting, air conditioning or anything else without our prior consent which we may withhold at our discretion;
- not use electrical devices that incur a total load of greater than 300W per workstation. Where at our discretion we agree to such usage, additional charges will apply;
- not use any portable heating devices;
- not attach any form of signage to the Accommodation;
- comply with all laws and statutes and not to obstruct any corridors or stairways or to do or suffer to be done anything illegal or immoral or which may become a nuisance, annoyance or inconvenience to us or to any other occupiers or clients of the Facility;
- comply with all rules and regulations we make in respect of the Facility;
- not use the Accommodation as the registered office without our express written consent;
- where applicable indemnify us against any and all claims, losses, proceedings or liabilities arising out of your use of our Facility as your registered office;
- use your Accommodation only as offices for the purposes of your business and not for any use that provides services direct to visiting public;
- not carry on a business that competes with our business or associate our trading name or those of our agents in any way that implies a connection with your business;
- you must not keep (and you must not allow any other person to keep) any hazardous substances or any of the following items in the Unit:
- food or perishable goods;
- birds, fish, animals or any other living creatures;
- combustible, explosive or flammable materials or liquids such as gas, paint, petrol, oil or cleaning solvents;
- any illegal substances, illegal items or goods illegally obtained.
You are responsible for security to your Accommodation and for complying with the security requirements for the Facility. You must ensure that doors are kept locked and access to your Accommodation and the Facility is kept secure when you leave. Loss of keys and entry cards must be reported immediately and you are responsible for the cost of any replacement keys and/or changing locks.
We maintain insurance cover for the building against those risks we consider appropriate from time to time. It is your responsibility to insure your own property including any IT hardware that you may own. You are also responsible for and must pay us for any damage that you or your visitors or staff causes to the Facility or anything in it. It is also your responsibility to insure for your own liability to your staff and to third parties.
Entry to Accommodation
Except in an emergency, we will endeavour to give you notice prior to entering the Accommodation in order to carry out repairs, sales viewings, cleaning, tests or general maintenance. We have the right to enter your Accommodation at any time but we will respect your privacy.
If the Facility is no longer available
In the event that we are permanently unable to provide the services and accommodation(s) at the Facility stated in this agreement then this agreement will end and you will only have to pay Fees up to the date it ends and for the additional services you have used.
We will do whatever we reasonably can to provide the Services but we are not liable for any loss of business, loss of profits, loss of data, damage, third party claims or any consequential loss howsoever arising or caused. We recommend that you insure against all such potential loss, damage expense or liability.
Control of Accommodation
The Facility and the Accommodation remains our property and in our control. You do not have any exclusive right to use the Accommodation or to stay on in the Facility when the Agreement ends. Your agreement is not ‘portable’ and therefore cannot be transferred to anyone else. It is personal to you and you cannot allow anyone else to use your Accommodation apart from your own members of staff or sub-contractors. We can transfer the benefit and rights under your Agreement and our obligations in relation to it at our discretion.
Subject to clause 18 this Agreement shall continue until terminated by either party by serving no less than 28 days written notice to the other expiring no earlier than the End Date.
We can terminate your Agreement immediately in any of the following circumstances:
- you do not pay the Fees by the due dates set out in clause 9 of this Agreement;
- you breach any of your obligations under this Agreement (whether notified to you or not) which either cannot be put right or you have failed to put right within 14 days from the date of notification of the breach;
- being a company you become insolvent, go into liquidation or are unable to pay your debts as they become due; or a petition is presented for an administration order under the Insolvency Act 1986 (the Act) or an administration order is made; or a winding up petition is presented against you; or an administrative receiver or manager is appointed or a provisional liquidator is appointed under the Act; or a proposal is made for a voluntary agreement under of the Act or a proposal is made for a scheme of arrangement under the Companies Act 1985 section 475;
- being either a company or an individual any other form of insolvency arrangement order or process is proposed commenced or entered into by or against you under any existing or future legislation or regulations;
- or you are in material breach or persistently breach the terms of this Agreement and (if the breach is capable of remedy) you fail to remedy the breach on reasonable notice. If we end this Agreement in accordance with this clause your outstanding obligations will continue, you are liable and must pay for any Services you have used and the value of Fees that would fall due for any remaining period of the Agreement. The remaining period of the Agreement will either be equivalent to 28 days’ notice as per clause 17 or, if longer, the period up until the End Date. You also agree to indemnify us against all costs and losses we incur as a result of the Agreement ending.
We can deduct from your Service Retainer any of these amounts.
End of Agreement
At the end of your Agreement, you are required to do the following; move out of the Accommodation immediately; leave it in a clean and tidy condition without any damage; remove all your personal belongings; and hand back keys and security passes. If you leave any property in the Facility, we may dispose of it at your cost in any way we choose without owing you any responsibility for it or any proceeds of sale. If you continue to use the accommodation after the end of your Agreement, you are responsible for any loss or liability we suffer as a result of your failure to move out on time and we may also deduct monies from the Deposit to cover any of these losses.
When you vacate your accommodation, we often continue
to receive mail, telephone calls and visitors for you. In order
to professionally manage the redirection of your mail and to prevent its return to sender, we will charge a one-time redirection service for mail only for 2 months. You will additionally be liable for any postal forwarding costs. The cost of the service and postal costs will be deducted from your service retainer. This service lasts for two months after the end of the date of this agreement. If in the event that there is no mail, telephone calls or visitors this service will not be applied.
While this agreement is in force and for a period of six months after it ends, neither party may knowingly solicit or offer employment to any of the other’s staff employed in the Facility. This obligation applies to any employee employed at the Facility up to that employee’s termination of employment, and for three months thereafter. It is stipulated that the breaching party shall pay the non-breaching party the equivalent of 6 month’s salary for any employee concerned. Nothing in this clause shall prevent either party from employing an individual who responds in good faith and independently to an advertisement which is made to the public at large.
Any Notice required to be served under the Agreement must be in writing and served on either party at the Facility or at their registered office.
You agree to indemnify us and keep us indemnified against all losses, claims, demands, actions, proceedings, damages, costs, expenses or and other liability arising out of your failure to comply with the Agreement, any breaches of any of your obligations contained in the Agreement, from any third party in respect of your use of the Facility or the Services we provide; or death or injury in the Accommodation you are using arising from anything that you do or reasonably should have done.
All charges under this Agreement are exclusive of all taxes including value added tax, withholding tax or any other similar tax which may be applicable hereto.
Small Business Rates Relief
It is a condition of your agreement that you complete and return any form provided by us in order for us to consider any opportunity to claim rates relief from your accommodation.
Your Agreement is confidential. You must not disclose any of the terms of your Agreement without our consent unless you are obliged to do so by law. This requirement will continue after your Agreement ends.
The Agreement will be governed in connection with the law of England and Wales whose courts shall have jurisdiction to settle any dispute or claim.
You agree that we may use any personal data which you provide us: (a) to fulfil our obligations under this Agreement and for market research and tracking of sales data in order to improve our future services to you; (b) to send you other information about our products and services and about future events and promotions organised by us or on our behalf; (c) use your company data to create your profile on our client portal; and (d) to give such data to others who have been carefully selected by us in order to enable them to send information to you as set out above which may be of interest to you. If you do not consent to such use, such consent may be withdrawn by written notice to us.
Terms and conditions of the free removals offer
This offer is subject to availability and prebooking. Free Removal into storage offer is valid only when you rent a minimum of a 15 sq ft storage unit from us for at least two months.
Collection address must be within 10 miles as measured by the AA Route Planner from the following stores: Brentford; Chiswick; Daventry; Isleworth; Kings Heath; Shrewsbury; Slough; Solihull; Uxbridge; and 5 miles from the following stores: Cricklewood, St John’s Wood, Swiss Cottage.
If the collection address is outside the agreed area, then the additional distance cost will be charged per mile.
Free removal does not include the congestion charge nor any parking fees. Packing service or dismantling of furniture is not included but can be arranged at an additional cost.
Our standard Trading Terms and Conditions apply. Direct Debit payment is required. We reserve the right to charge you the cost of removal service if you store for less than two months, if payment method is changed or direct debit requests are not honoured. No refunds will be given for storage or insurance payments made should the contract be terminated during the period of the agreed term.
The offer will cease if the terms and conditions of the offer are broken, or we write to advise you that the scheme is no longer in operation, in which case we may offer you alternative schemes.
This offer is available to new customers or existing customers renting additional units (cannot be used in conjunction with other offers or applied retrospectively). Cash value 0.001p
Space station complaints procedure
Please discuss any complaint with the Store Manager at the appropriate location, who will endeavour to resolve the matter promptly.
If the matter cannot be resolved, wherever possible, all complaints should be made in writing and addressed to the Store Manager at the appropriate location. Once received, the Store Manager will send a written acknowledgement of the complaint within 5 working days*, explaining who is handling the complaint and the details of the procedure to be carried out. The complaint will be fully investigated and you will receive a detailed response stating the Company’s position within 10 working days* of the acknowledgement letter.
If you are dissatisfied with the outcome, please write to the Regional Manager at: 149 St Paul’s Avenue, Slough, SL2 5EN, stating why you believe the decision is unfair. On receipt of the complaint, the Regional Manager will send a letter (or email) of acknowledgement within 5 business working days*. The grounds for the decision will be fully investigated and you will receive a detailed response stating the Company’s position within 10 working days* of the acknowledgement letter.
If you remain unhappy with the outcome, please write to the CEO at our Slough address, stating why you believe the grounds for the decision were unfair. On receipt of the complaint, the CEO will send a letter (or email) of acknowledgement within 5* working days. The grounds for the decision will be reinvestigated and you will receive a detailed response stating the Company’s decision within 10 working days* of the acknowledgement letter. The CEO’s decision will be final and no further correspondence will be entered into. If at any point you fail to respond to any decision within eight weeks from the last correspondence, Space Station will assume the matter has been dealt with to your complete satisfaction and the matter will be closed. Please note that our complaints process is discretionary and not based on statute. This means we may not always proceed with
a complaint if we believe there is sufficient justification not to do so. This policy does not affect your statutory rights.
*Whenever reasonably practicable
Returned Payment Fee £20.83
Late Payment Fee £20.83
Extended Opening Hours £25.00 per 15 mins
Forklift and Driver £40.00 per hour or part hour
Forklift / Handling Fee from £5.00 per lift
Padlock Removal from £16.67
Waste Disposal from £10.00
CRATE HIRE SERVICE FEES
Damaged Crate Fee £30.00
Non-return Fee £30.00
Returned Payment Fee £20.83
Late Payment Fee £20.83
All Charges + VAT
We are happy to exchange or refund goods purchased from our store which are returned within 28 days. Goods must be returned in the same condition as they were sold, and in the original packaging. All returns must be accompanied by the original receipt and refunds will be made by the same method of payment as the sale.
Cash refunds may take more than one day to be authorised.
Please note that we are not able to exchange or refund without the original receipt.
This policy does not affect your statutory rights.
Fork lifting services
We provide the service of lifting customer goods at selected stores under strict terms and conditions separate from the terms and conditions of storage.
The conditions noted hereunder apply where the service does not form part of a pallet storage contract.
In these terms The Company, Space Station, We, Us and Our refer to A Space Station Ltd and The Customer, You and Your relate to the person requesting the forklifting service.
The Customer undertakes to present goods securely and properly packed in compliance with any statutory regulations or official or recognised standards and in good condition so as not to cause damage or injury, or the likelihood of damage or injury, to persons employed by or property of the Company.
We may make a charge for this service and any charge will be subject to VAT at the current standard rate.
- The Company does not insure the goods for the Customer for the specific purpose of lifting the goods and the Customer shall make arrangements to cover the goods against all risks of loss or damage up to the full insurable value of the goods
- The Company can arrange to include insurance for impact during the lifting of goods by Space Station personnel on behalf of a Customer who has a contract for self-storage and only in the specific circumstance where the goods to be lifted are covered as part of the Space Station self storage insurance policy. Please ask in store if you would like more details.
- The Company excludes liability for any claim relating to loss, damage, deterioration howsoever caused but this does not exclude any claim arising from neglect or wilful act or default of the Company or its employees (when acting for the Company). In any case the Company’s total liability shall not exceed £100 per tonne weight of the specific goods subject of a claim and
We shall not be liable for loss of profit or consequential loss of any kind.
- The Company shall not be liable for any loss or damage caused by
or contributed to by a breach of any of the Company’s rules, conditions, undertakings or warranty by the Customer including consequential loss of any kind.
Any claim must be notified at the time the loss or damage is discovered and in any case in writing within 15 days of the goods being lifted for or on behalf of the Customer.
A Space Station Ltd Registered office at:
149 St Pauls Avenue, Slough, Berks SL2 5EN
Company Registered in England 01693618.
VAT Reg. No. GB 538 9742 93
Privacy notice and consent
This notice explains how information about you is collected and used.
The personal information we collect from you.
How we collect the information,
What we do with your information and
Who your information might be shared with?
Who we are
A Space Station Ltd, Sure Store (UK) Ltd, NW8 Self Storage Ltd, Mary Hampson, Rent A Space (Self-Storage) Ltd, and Fort Locks Self Storage Ltd, trading as Space Station Self Storage. We are a ‘data controller’ for the purposes of the Data Protection Act 2018. This means we are responsible for, and control the processing of, your personal information. Any enquiries as to how we handle your personal information should be addressed at DPO@space-station.co.uk.
What information do we collect?
Personal information provided by you
Personal information provided by third parties.
Occasionally we may receive information about you from other sources (such as credit reference agencies), which we will add to the information we already hold about you in order to help us provide services to you, and to improve and personalise our service to you.
Personal information about other individuals
If you give us information on behalf of someone else, you confirm that the other person has appointed you to act on their behalf and has agreed that you can:
Give consent on their behalf to the processing of their personal data; and
Receive on their behalf any data protection notices.
Sensitive personal information (or special categories of personal data for the purposes of UK GDPR)
We will not usually ask you to provide sensitive personal information. We will only ask you to provide sensitive personal information if we need it for a specific reason, for example, if you have specific access requirements due to medical needs. If we request such information, we will explain why we are requesting it, and how we intend to use it.
Sensitive personal information includes information relating to:
Ethnicity, political opinions, religious beliefs, trade union membership, physical or mental health, sexual life, and criminal convictions.
We will only collect your sensitive information with your explicit consent.
We do not knowingly collect personal data relating to children under the age of 16. If you are a parent or guardian of a child under 16 and think we may have information relating to that child, please contact us at DPO@space-station.co.uk. We will ask you to prove your relationship to the child but if you do so you may (subject to applicable law) request access to and deletion of that child’s personal data.
How do we collect information from you?
We gather information directly from you, and via our website, mobile applications (or ‘apps’) and other technical systems. When you visit our storage facility, some personal data may be collected from monitoring devices and systems, such as closed-circuit TV (CCTV) and door entry systems at the site, where permitted by law.
We may also monitor and record communications with you (such as telephone conversations and emails). We may do so for several reasons, such as to check the quality of our customer service, for training purposes, to prevent fraud, or to make sure we are complying with legal requirements.
How will we use the information about you?
We collect information about you for several reasons:
- To take steps to enter a contract with you and provide services to you once that contract is in place and pursuant to that we collect personal information to:
- Identify you and manage any accounts you hold with us.
- Contact you for reasons related to the service you have signed up to or to provide information you have requested.
- Deal with payment for our services.
- Notify you of any changes to our website or other service which may affect you; and
- Resolve any disputes or collect overdue payments.
To comply with our legal obligations, for example to comply with anti-money laundering and counter-terrorist financing requirements.
To pursue our legitimate interests to give you a high quality and secure service, including to:
- Conduct research and analyse website visitor behaviour patterns.
- Customise our website and its content to your preferences.
- Improve out services.
- Detect and prevent fraud.
- Carry out security vetting.
- Prevent offensive, inappropriate, or objectionable content being sent to or posted on out sites or to stop any other form of disruptive behaviour; and
- Establish whether you are doing something that breaches your contract with us.
We also collect personal information and CCTV images to Assist in the establishment or defence of any crime or other investigation.
If you give your informed consent, we will contact you to let you know about other products or services that may be of interest to you (see ‘Marketing’ Section below).
If we propose to use your information for any other uses, we will ensure we notify you first. If we need your consent to use your information for these other purposes, we will give you the opportunity to opt in or to refuse. If you opt in, you will be able to opt out at any time.
What is our legal basis for processing your personal data?
We will use your personal data (including sensitive personal data) where allowed by law, which means that we need a legal basis to process it, which includes the following:
1. When it is necessary for the performance of a contract with you.
2. It is necessary for our legitimate interests (or those of a third party) provided that our or a third party’s legitimate interests are not overridden by your interests or fundamental rights which require protection of your data.
3. We need to process your information to comply with a legal or regulatory obligation imposed on us, or
4. Where you have provided your consent to use your data, to the extent that your consent is required.
We would like to send you information by post, email, telephone, text message (SMS) about products and services, competitions and special offers, which may be of interest to you.
We will ask whether you would like us (our group companies) to send you marketing messages by asking you to tick the relevant boxes when you complete our online enquiry form or come to our storage facility for a quote, or to sign a storage agreement.
If you have consented to receiving marketing from us, you can opt out at any time. See ‘What rights do you have?’ below for further information.
When will we contact you?
We may contact you to let you know about any changes to the service you have signed up for or to provide information you have requested. Where you have opted in to receiving further information from us, we will invite you to participate in surveys about our services (but it is your choice if you wish to take part), and we will contact you for marketing purposes, if we have obtained your consent. You can tell us to stop contacting you for marketing at any time – see the section on your rights below. If you ask us to stop contacting you, you can also ask us to start again at any time.
When will we contact any other person about you?
If you provide us with the details of any other person, we can contact to discuss your account, we may contact that person and discuss and share the details of your account with that person and deal with that person in relation to your account as if that person was you. We may particularly want to do this if we are unable to get in touch with you for any reason. If you change your mind, you can email or write to us and have this person taken off your account as an alternate contact person (see ‘how can you contact us’ below)
Who your information might be shared with?
We may disclose your personal data to:
- Other companies within our group;
- Service providers under contract with us to support our business operations, such as technology or payment services, or Removals companies
- Our insurers and insurance brokers if you take out insurance through us;
- Trade associations of which we are a member;
- Law enforcement or government agencies in connection with any investigation to help prevent or detect unlawful activity;
- Our business partners to deliver marketing communications, provided that you have given your consent
- Any person or agency if we need to share that information to comply with the law or to enforce any agreement, we may have with you or to protect the health and safety of any person
- Any person who you have named as a person we can contact to discuss your account;
- Any person who is your agent or representative, such as the holder of a power of attorney, a legal guardian, or a person administering a will;
- Any person who we are negotiating with as a potential buyer of our business or property or if we are proposing to merge our business with another business;
- Credit card associations if specifically required.
If we pass data on to insurers, they may enter your data onto a register of claims which is shared with other insurers to prevent fraudulent claims. If we use an outside party to process your information, we will require them to comply with our instructions in connection with the services they provide for us and not for their own business purposes.
Keeping your data secure
We will use technical and organisational measures to safeguard your personal data, for example:
We store your personal data on secure servers, and
Only authorised staff are able to access personal data.
We have strict security and confidentiality procedures covering the storage and disclosure of your information in order to keep it safe and prevent unauthorised access. We only allow certain authorised employees to have access to your personal information who need to use it to fulfil their job responsibilities. The employees are trained in the proper handling of customer information. Employees who do not comply with our internal rules are subject to our usual disciplinary procedures.
While we will use all reasonable efforts to keep your personal data safe, you acknowledge that the use of the internet is not entirely secure and for this reason we cannot guarantee the security or integrity of any personal data that is transferred from you or to you via the internet. If you have any particular concerns about your information, please contact us (see ‘How can you contact us’ below).
Our website contains links to websites and applications owned and operated by other people and businesses. These third-party sites have their own privacy policies and use their own cookies and we recommend that you review them before you provide them with personal information. They will tell you how your personal information is collected and used while you are visiting these other websites. We do not accept any responsibility or liability for the content of these sites or the use of your information collected by any of these other sites and you use these other sites at your own risk.
What can I do to keep my information safe?
If you want detailed information from Get Safe Online on how to protect your information and your computers and devices against fraud, identity theft, viruses and many other online problems, please visit www.getsafeonline.org .Get Safe Online is supported by HM Government and leading businesses.
Transfers of your information outside of the UK
Whenever we transfer your personal data out of the UK to certain authorised suppliers providing functionality or other services to us, we ensure a similar degree of protection is afforded to it by ensuring at least one of the following safeguards is implemented:
- We will only transfer your personal data to countries within the UK/EEA or other countries that have been deemed to provide an adequate level of protection for personal data by the UK Government and the European Commission.
- Otherwise, where we use service providers outside the UK or the EEA, we will only transfer your personal data using appropriate mechanisms approved by the UK Government and the European Commission (such as the Standard Contractual Clauses) which give personal data the same protection it has in Europe and the UK.
How long do we keep your personal information?
We will hold your personal information on our system for as long as necessary to fulfil the purposes for which it was collected, including for the purposes of satisfying any legal, accounting, or reporting requirements, or for the length of time set out in any contract between us, unless you have told us you want us to remove you from the system (see ‘Right to be forgotten’ below). We may keep certain data for longer periods, where we have legitimate business interests.
What rights do you have?
Right to request a copy of your information
You can request a copy of your information which we hold (this is known as a subject access request). If you would like a copy of some or all of it, please:
Email, call, or write to us (see ‘How can you contact us?’ below);
Let us have proof of your identity and address (a copy of your driving licence or passport and a recent utility or credit card bill), and
Let us know the information you want a copy of, including any account of reference numbers, if you have them.
We will not charge any fee for this service in most cases.
Right to correct any mistakes in your information
You can require us to correct any mistakes in your information which we hold free of charge. If you would like to do this, please:
Email, call, or write to us (see ‘How can you contact us?’ below);
Let us have enough information to identify you (e.g. account number, username, registration details), and
Let us know what information is incorrect and what it should be replaced with.
Right to ask us to stop contacting you with direct marketing
You can ask us to stop contacting you for direct marketing purposes. If you would like this, please:
Email, call or write to use (see ‘how can you contact us?’ below). You can also click on the unsubscribe button at the bottom of any email newsletter we may send you. It may take up to 7 days for this to take place.
Let us know what method of contact you are not happy with, if you are unhappy with certain ways of contacting you (for example, you may be happy for us to contact you by email but not by telephone).
Right to be forgotten
You can ask us to delete the data we hold about you in certain circumstances. You can do this if it is no longer necessary for us to hold the data for the purpose it was collected (for example if you are no longer a customer), or if we are using it without your consent or you must ask us to delete it to comply with any of your legal obligations. You can also do this if you originally gave your consent to us to use your information and you want to change your mind, if you would like to do this, please:
Email, call, or write to us (see ‘How can you contact us?’ below).
Let us have proof of your identity and address (a copy of your driving licence or passport and a recent utility or credit card bill), and
Let us know why you would like us to delete your data from our systems.
We will take steps to make sure the information is deleted from our systems and by any people who are processing your information for us, unless we must carry on using the information for legal reasons, or we have valid business reasons which require us to keep the data, which you will be notified of.
How to contact us
If you wish to contact us:
please send an email to
or write to us at
Information Security Officer, A Space Station Ltd, 149 St Pauls Ave, Slough, SL2 5EN or call us on 03303351748
SSA UK membership certificate